Call for studies - Application


ERASMUS student mobility
The University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Center offers the possibility of studying abroad in European countries for a period of between 3 months and 12 months in the academic year 2009/2010.
1.              Who can apply?
To participate in the LLP/ERASMUS programme, you must fulfil the following conditions:
·        You are a full registered student at the UD MHSC in the AY 2008/2009 and you will continue your studies in the AY 2009/2010 at our university. (During your studies abroad, you have to pay the tuition to the home institution.)
·        You are a Hungarian citizen or you are recognized as having a permanent residence in Hungary.
·        You have completed at least four semesters of your university studies.
·        The average of your GPA (grade point average) of the last 4 completed semesters is over 3.5.
·        Official confirmation about your fluent knowledge of language of the proposed host country (The host universities DO NOT carry an English programme for medical studies!).
·        Any student can spend maximum 2 semesters abroad during his/her entire studies at the UD MHSC. (If you plan to do your 6th year abroad using your own contacts, you cannot spend the 5th year abroad on an Erasmus grant.) If you spend a clinical year abroad with Erasmus, it will be more than 25% of your total clinical studies (which is the maximum you can spend away from UD MHSC), however, for those studying in the Erasmus program, this restriction is waived and only the total maximum 2 semester abroad applies.
·        You should meet other special conditions of the host university.
2.              Professional programmes you can apply for
* General Medicine 6th year: bedside clinical practice (students in their 6th year in the AY 2009/2010) – minimally 3 months, maximally 9 months. All exams of the 6th year have to be passed at the University of Debrecen.
* General Medicine 3rd, 4th and 5th year: one or two COMPLETE semesters – as offered by the host university, including complete attendance of classes and taking all exams.
The LLP/ERASMUS study period is an integral part of the programme of study at your home university. Full academic recognition must be given for the study period abroad, as decided upon in the Learning Agreement, and agreed to provisionally by the Credit Transfer Committee, based on the syllabuses of subjects you will be studying abroad. 
The professional content, the confirmation of the academic achievement and the bilateral recognition of the study programme is regulated by the ECTS (European Credit Transfer System). No credits will be transferred without exams passed at the host university.
3.              What about exams?
The examination procedure you will follow will be the one applied by the host institution. This may involve written papers and/or oral examinations. The language of the examination will be that of the host institution. You will not have to pass an exam a second time at your own university to receive academic recognition for it. However, you will have the opportunity to take an improvement exam upon your return if you are not happy with your grade. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CAN ONLY IMPROVE GRADES 2, 3 or 4 – if you fail and exam abroad, you lose the credits and the time devoted to it, and have to take the subject again here, in the semesters to come. Thus, the knowledge of the language of your host country is essential!
4.              Is there a minimum or maximum number of exams that I have to take at the university of the country I go to?
You have to study subjects that are equivalent to those that you would be studying here. Eventually, you will be allocated the Debrecen credits to each subject that you pass abroad, and the Debrecen subjects and credits will become part of your diploma transcript. The grade you get abroad will also be translated into the 1-5 scale used here. You will need to take so many subjects abroad that their equivalents in Debrecen carry credits totalling to the minimum required for a valid semester (20 ECTS credits per semester). If there are a few subjects that you would need to do in the semester in which you go abroad, but they are not available at the host university, you should study those subjects in Debrecen in the semesters before you go abroad if possible, or, in the worse case, in the semesters after you return. (Obviously, if you plan to do the last semester of grade 5 abroad, you MUST do all the subjects not available at the host university BEFORE you leave for the Erasmus period.) Such mixing of subjects requires the prior permission of the Educational Subcommittee, and so does the mere proposal of spending one or two semesters abroad.
5.              Partner institutions
You can download a list of the partner institutions, i.e. which universities, which faculties in which countries can be applied to, the special requirements, the number of places available, and the maximum number of months offered by the university. The website of the universities is also listed therein. You should use the website and your knowledge of the host language to download the detailed syllabuses of the subjects you would like to study there. 
6.              How long can you go and when? 
In the framework of the LLP/ERASMUS programme, you can spend between three months and a full academic year abroad depending on the contracts with the partner institutions and other regulations. In general, students spend either the first or the second semester, or a whole year abroad. In the case of medical studies, you can spend between 3 and 9 months of the 6th year abroad, or one or two complete semester(s) of years 3-5. The ECTS Learning Agreement should be completed before you start your studies abroad, earliest at the beginning of the AY 2009/2010. Please note that academic calendars vary from country to country.
7.              How much is the ERASMUS grant?
You may receive a study grant which is intended as a contribution towards covering the extra costs involved in studying abroad, such as travel expenses, language preparation costs, higher general costs of living in the host country. The LLP/ERASMUS grant covers the period of study abroad. The National Erasmus Office of Hungary offers a minimal grant of 200 €/month. The University of Debrecen has decided to give a grant of at least 300 €/month in the AY 2008/2009 for all theirs students, who reach the necessary level in the selection process and fit in the quotas for each faculty determined by the University Council.
8.              How well do I have to speak the language of the country I will go to?
You must have acquired sufficient knowledge of the language in which the courses you will attend are taught – this is normally the language of the host country. This you can certify with an official document e.g. language exam in a foreign language, foreign language courses (including level and grade obtained) at universities. Students who can not substantiate the sufficient knowledge of language have to pass a language test organized by the Language Departments of the University.
9.              Are there any preparatory languages courses?
Yes, in general, you can follow preparatory language courses either at your home university before your depart or at your host university before the beginning of your study period abroad. In addition, host institutions of countries with national languages less widely used and taught often offer Erasmus Intensive Language Courses (EILC) to incoming ERASMUS students. You will be informed about EILC as calls are open in the spring of 2009.